Date:      Sat, 13 Jun 1998 11:45:54 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ATAPI CD ROM Installation Failure on BSD 2.2.6 (fwd)

> Somebody want to try to decode the ATAPI error message that this guy is
> getting?  We've checked cabling and it all checks out.  I forget the model
> of drive tho.

> NOTICE:  Make sure your mailer replies to dwhite@resnet or I won't get it!

Sure; the driver is saying "the drive is not in the phase I expected it
to be in".  Sort of "what the hell does it think it's doing?"

More interestingly, note that the 'ireason', 'status' and 'error'
values are *all* 0xd8.  This implies that there's a really basic
problem talking to the drive.

My suspicions would tend to suggest timing problems of some sort;
either we are not giving the drive enough time to behave, or perhaps
the user is overclocking and their IDE controller isn't playing the
game.  Seeing the full set of wd* probe messages would be useful,
especially if there are other devices involved.  Also, knowing the set
of actions leading to the fault would help.