Date:      Sun, 5 Oct 1997 16:09:06 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dean Gaudet <dgaudet-list-freebsd-mobile@arctic.org>
To:        John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Seamless nomadic e-mail access

On Sun, 5 Oct 1997, John Polstra wrote:

> Overall, I'm pretty disappointed at the state of the art for this mode
> of operation.  I had hoped the world would be further along by now.

What I think I'd like to see is an IMAP 4 disconnected mode proxy server.
Let it talk IMAP 4 with another IMAP 4 server to cache the mail locally
and do all the other fun disconnected mode stuff.  Then whatever method
your local mail program wants to use is fine, i.e. it could use IMAP
locally or direct mailbox access (the proxy needs to store metadata
somewhere other than the mailbox itself unlike the UW imap daemon).

This should make it easier to find a good client and also run things
offline.

So if anyone is looking for a project ...

Dean