Date:      Thu, 26 Oct 1995 16:24:47 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
To:        Gary Clark II <gclarkii@freefall.freebsd.org>
Cc:        doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Manual in printed form

On Thu, 26 Oct 1995, Gary Clark II wrote:

> John, I would prefer to stick with LaTeX for printing vice groff!
> The reason why I say this is groff just can not produce nice output.

Agreed, BUT, adding decent groff support by no means implies that
TeX/LaTeX support must be dropped!  I just think that it should be
possible to generate decent postscript on an out-of-the-box system.

> P.S. I think it might be a good idea for someone who understands
>      our version of the linuxdoc DTD to write up a basic instruction
>      manual (example.sgml??) as our version is different:)

The DTD fundamentally the same.  In fact, the only user noticable
difference I can think of off the top of my head is is the addition of a
<part> tag.  What is needed is to just remove all the installation and
"how to generate output in format X" cruft.

On the other hand, the linuxdoc DTD is a real mess that I'd like to wash
my hands of.  I got a start on a docbook to html translator but have
gotten rather busy with other stuff lately and progress has stopped. :(

-john

== http://fieber-john.campusview.indiana.edu/~jfieber ============