Date:      Tue, 8 Sep 1998 23:16:02 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, oppermann@pipeline.ch, ben@rosengart.com, mike@smith.net.au, doconnor@gsoft.com.au, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: 6 days to C-DAY

> > > The only problem I can see is the new US copyright law; it's no longer
> > > allowed to have/produce/sell technologie that enables you copy/analyse/
> > > modify copyrighted work.
> >
> > Utter bilge.
>
> Ummm.  What the hell is this doing in -current?

Mike gave the rationale for not fixing something under CAM that used
to work without CAM as "if you are doing this, you are pirating music,
so there's no reason to fix this anyway".

While including a smiley, it seemed an attempt to chagrin the questioner
out of asking for what I believe is a perfectly reasoanble functionality
for the CAM driver, to wit: support for, minimally, SCSI II audio data
reading.

You also clipped out the part about the Toshiba 3401B.

The Toshiba was the first CDROM drive available in the US, seperately
from the need to purchase an SGI system to get the Hitachi drive, that
could read audio data off of CD's.  I know, because this is the reason
that I bought the thing.

Using raw SCSI commands to read audio data off this driver works under
CAM, just as it always has without CAM.

> darn bit of difference when it comes to continuing a clearly
> inappropriate thread on a mailing list.  Moved to -chat.  KEEP it
> there, dammit!

I think you are omitting context to the point that it really does
belong on -chat; but without that context diked out, the response
to Mike's justification for not having audio track reading support
in CAM stands on its own: his claims of illegality are specious.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.