Date:      Sat, 27 Sep 1997 11:25:26 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "John T. Farmer" <jfarmer@sabre.goldsword.com>
To:        hardware@freebsd.org
Cc:        jfarmer@goldsword.com
Subject:   Socket 7 class chip sets

Does anybody have experience with non-Intel chipset boards with the
AMD K-6 and/or the Cyrix 686MX cpus?  I just ordered a batch of Asus
VX97 mainboards from one of my suppliers for some Win95 workstations,
and he cliams that Intel has stopped production of both the VX _and_
the HX chipsets...

The VX can be replaced (at a higher price) by the TX, but he also
claimed that there isn't going to be a HX follow-on/replacement.
My understanding (I admit that I've not been paying much attention...)
is that the newer P-II/slot-1 chipsets _won't_ support the socket-7
cpu's without alot of expensive, possibly slower support circuitry.

I use the HX-based boards (mostly Asus P55-P2T4's) for all my lower cost
servers & important workstations, so if I have to start using a different
one, I want to get the eval process underway.

John

John T. Farmer			Proprietor, GoldSword Systems
jfarmer@goldsword.com		Public Internet Access in East Tennessee
dial-in (423)470-9953		for info, e-mail to info@goldsword.com
	Network Design, Internet Services & Servers, Consulting