Date:      Wed, 2 Jul 1997 08:30:11 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Tim Vanderhoek <hoek@hwcn.org>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>, Francisco Reyes <francisco@natserv.com>, FreeBSD Chat List <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Why Not Make tcsh the default shell?

On Wed, 2 Jul 1997, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> Of course, correctly determining such context and writing all the
> "click the start menu at any time for new feature selection" user
> hand-holding code which enumerates the options properly is something
> which takes Real Work(tm), and it's rarely through lack of vision that
> these sorts of mechanisms don't exist, but rather lack of time. :-(

No, it doesn't take any Real Work(c).  Sysinstall already allows
the user to read docs before beginning the install.  A short
blurb can be added to one of those docs.  I don't think the
README would be unsuitable (although I can envision arguments
against it).

A well-written explanation of the default installation is not
required, nor one of the proposed additional packages.  I think a
simple "To make the most of your FreeBSD installation you may
also want to install some of the following packages <insert list
here>.  You will have an opportunity to browse the complete list
of packages available after the installation is finished."

May want to mention something about those packages which are only
available as ports.

Hmm...  Offhand, the first things I installed where bash,
jetpack, fvwm, lrzsz, zip/unzip, ircii, lynx, xboing, and xonix.
Making a list, I would remove jetpack and add a number of others.

--
Outnumbered?  Maybe.  Outspoken?  Never!
tIM...HOEk