Date:      Sat, 13 Jun 1998 14:12:47 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Gary Kline <kline@tao.thought.org>
To:        itojun@iijlab.net (Jun-ichiro itojun Itoh)
Cc:        easmith@beatrice.rutgers.edu, frankch@waru.life.nthu.edu.tw, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: internationalization

According to Jun-ichiro itojun Itoh:
> 	this thread is becoming not very suitable for "hackers"
> 	so this is my last comment ;-)

	[[[ ... ]]]

	(( probably should move at least this issue to -chat if
	   anyone cares to continue it... ))

> 	Wow, this is the point.  Phonetic expression (and sound itself)
> 	has ambiguity in Japanese/Chinese/Korean language.  If you hear
> 	some sound, you can interpret that in several ways.  We resolve
> 	the ambiguity by context in spoken Japanese, and by Kanji letters
> 	in written Japanese.
>
> 	For example, Japanese sound, "Hashi", can be translated into
> 	both "bridge" and "chopsticks".  There's slight difference
> 	in sound (intonation) which makes those sound distinct.
> 	Also, Japanese sound "Saru" can be translated to "monkey (noun)" and
> 	"leaving from somewhere (verb)".  In this case there's no
> 	difference in sound.  We make a distinction by context
> 	for spoken Japansese, and by Kanji letters in written Japanese.
>
> 	Therefore, if we write "saru" in Kana (phonetic letter),
> 	we cannot figure out what these letters mean.  This makes it
> 	really hard for us to read Kana-only teletype, which were
> 	used about 20 years ago.
>
> itojun

	The issues here are well presented and well-taken.  They are
	analogous to the many homologues in English that not
	infrequently cause some confusion even in context.  Words
	like "to," "two," and "too."  "Blew" and "blue."

	I didn't realize this until now, and see a solution in
	a diacritical with the Kana.   A contrived example would
	be "hashi'" == "bridge" and "hashi`" == "chopsticks".

	I think it is almost certain sometime in the next century
	that some sort of alphabet will replace the ideogram.
	I see China leading the way on this.  When//if this happens,
	the 8- or 16- (or 32-bit) character set issue will become
	moot; or at least muted.  For the present,  when your
	runelocale library can accept both Unicode and ISO_2022-*
	that seems altogether workable.

	gary

--
   Gary D. Kline         kline@tao.thought.org          Public service uNix