Date:      Wed, 5 Apr 2000 19:26:30 -0400
From:      Walter Brameld <brameld@twave.net>
To:        "David Nixon" <david.nixon@mantech.com>, <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        <vizion@ptialaska.net>
Subject:   Re: Attachments request -OOOOOPS

KMail Client Filter:

From:          Contains          david.nixon@mantech.com
Transfer                              trash

On Wed, 05 Apr 2000, in a never-ending search for enlightenment, David
Nixon wrote: > I had originally thought this to be a belated April
Fools prank or at least a minor attempt at trollery (nice job chumming
the water), but I see it is not.  Let me try to explain this to you...
The internet (this mailing list) is a nice collection of closet
anarchists.  They pretty much do as they want, but there are rules and
standards that they will not break.  Take for example, murder.  Murder
is nice, fun and all (great way to get rid of unwelcome house guests)
but what if some other guy got the idea of murdering you?  Anarchism
has it's perks but being dead invalidates most of them.  So... you have
this collective rule, an understanding if you will, that anarchists
won't go around murdering other anarchists.  People gather together
these collective rules and create a great Oracle called the FAQ.  On
other mailing lists, Usenet groups, etc, it is not uncommon to see the
acronym RTFFAQ (you are smart, I know you can fill in the words) posted
as a response to your request.  This is generally because you have
broken one of the most carnal of sins among internet denizens.  You
made a request for people to conform to YOUR standards to benefit YOUR
needs versus the anarchist status quo that has been held for years and
years.  Unfortunately, you have only hurt yourself by making such a
request.  *Plonk*  What was that?  That was the sound that a kill file
makes when an email address is added to it.  You what to hear stories,
I can tell stories? >  > Many, many years ago I was *hanging head in
shame* a Windows user.  Yes, I owned a Windows box and had settled on
Forte Agent as my Windows e-mail and Usenet reader.  Being a regular on
several Usenet groups (I have honestly never been nominated for Kook of
the Month) and mailing lists, I later got public requests from
individuals to please format my text (insert hard carriage returns)
because the text was running off their screens and they had to scroll
to the right quite a distance to read.  Anyone guess what this
coincided with?  Netscape released a new browser (2.?) that had an
integrated Usenet reader.  If memory servers me correct, Netscape
forgot to add the word wrap function, or maybe word wrap was not
enabled by default (know that was the issue with later versions).  The
point being that I and everyone else that were posting unformatted text
were doing nothing wrong.  Just that the people using their software
had no clue how to properly use it.  Immediately blamed other people
for their ignorance, and expected the other people to fix the problem
for them.  I will list the same options I gave those individuals many
years ago and you can apply the one(s) you want to the situation at
hand. >  > 1. Unsubscribe from the Usenet group(s) and or mailing
list(s). > 2.  Add me and all the other posting unformatted text
(attachments in your case) to your kill file. > 3. Learn how to
properly use your software. > 4. Obtain a different software package
that coincides with your learning curve; pigeons also make nice pets.
;-) >  >  > That being said (typed), why are you not using an automated
e-mail virus scanner?  Company standard here is McAfee for Windows
machines and it does automatic e-mail attachment scans along with the
standard system virus protection.  Second question: why is your e-mail
provider not scanning incoming and outgoing e-mail attachment at the
SMTP gateway?  The gateway should bounce the e-mail back with a brief
message about why it was blocked.  You might want to drop them a nice
e-mail to your provider and nudge them into that direction by
mentioning legal liability for infecting other systems from their
domain.  The SMTP gateway here DENIES at least 20 incoming e-mail
messages a day for infected attachments of the Melissa verity alone
(primarily sent by Outlook users). >  >  > David A. Nixon > Network
Security Engineer > ManTech International Corp.   www.ManTech.com  >
I am so soooooooooooory if you had not told me I would never have >
known - >  > I am hanging my head here -- I am not used to using
Microsoft stuff and it > appears that HTML was set by default on this
machine -- the sooner I can get > my new machine up with Freebsd 4.00
the better I will like it!! >  > Please let me know if the beastly HTML
and Jif stuff (aparrently for some > kind of background to the mail)
has dissappeared. >  > However I would still stand by my request and
you guys have made more point > for me again >  > Attachments etc are a
pain in the **** >  > Thanks >  >  >  > To Unsubscribe: send mail to
of the message --  Walter Brameld

Linux:     Where do you want to go tomorrow?
BSD:       Are you guys coming, or what?
Walter:    And what does THIS button do??