Date:      Mon, 03 Apr 2000 10:30:51 +0200
From:      Fabrizio Poggi <poggif@casaccia.enea.it>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   /stand/sysinstall from scratch

Hi all,
I have a courious accident:
Installed FreeBSD on a supplementary hd; the machine is a standard
p200mmx, sis6326, 64 MbRam, 13GB + 2Gb Hd. The installation was made with
boot manager that switch between the two disk and then between the O/S. On
the first hd is mount winNT. All run good for more than a week (great
uptime record!)

One morning, the boot of FreeBSD detect a error ("boot error". Stop). Loss
of entire installation & configuration. Nothing done by me, unexpected.
Decided for a more clear installation on primary hd.

From scratch. Put NT in the first 2Gb then make a 6Gb of free space for
FreeBSD. All ok. Make the slice; set auto option for correct repartition of
the slice. Good install of all distribution set. The strange thing happen
at the end of installation. The sysinstall interface has begun to flashing
rapidly and switch between the various screens at random, doing all by
itself, leaving only partial control of keyboard. On the alternative TTY
any error was displayed. I've decided for reinstall again all. At this
second time the flashing of /sysinstall begun more soon and stops me.

Only a particular. The disk exceed the 8Gb. So the sectors are not in
conjunction with the end boundary of cylinder. But the all the slice & boot
manager was under the limits of 8Gb and may I expect a signal of bad
attempt to install (You can't install on this disk because is not correctly
formatted) and not this strange crazyness. Anyone has the same problem or
can tell me who I have done mistakes? Thanx in advance.

Regards, Fabrizio.