Date:      Mon, 8 Jun 1998 00:09:28 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Snob Art Genre <benedict@echonyc.com>
To:        "Edward P. Katz" <katz@robotics.Stanford.EDU>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Newbie 3 questions.

On Sun, 7 Jun 1998, Edward P. Katz wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm considering plunging into FreeBSD rather than LINUX and would like
> to ask 3 questions:

No problem, but for future reference, questions@freebsd.org is the place
for this sort of thing.

> 1.  First, does FreeBSD X windows support multiple monitors
>     (e.g. 3 monitors and interface cards on one PC as in display:0.1,
>     display:0.2, display:0.3)?

Yes.  FreeBSD's X implementation is the same codebase as Linux's:
XFree86.

> 2.  Can the COM1 serial port be configured as the console
>     (I.e. have no monitor, but use an ASCII terminal as the system
>     console)?

Yes.

> 3.  Folklore has it that for server kinds of applications, that
>     FreeBSD is the way to go.  But for an individual workstation
>     applications (e.g. X Windows, X Term, etc.) LINUX gets the
>     popular nod (at least from the sample space I've already tapped).
>     What is your response to this, and how does X Windows under
>     FreeBSD compare to X Windows under LINUX?

There are more applications released for Linux; IMO, that is its chief
advantage.  However, FreeBSD can run most Linux programs under
emulation, and many of them have FreeBSD-native or portable releases
anyway.

X itself is the same under FreeBSD as under Linux.  The only exception
would be if you had a window manager that runs under Linux but not
FreeBSD; however, I don't know of any, and I do know of many popular
window managers that run on both Linux and FreeBSD.

 Ben

"You have your mind on computers, it seems."