Date:      Wed, 07 Oct 1998 02:02:51 -0400
From:      "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <jeff-ml@mountin.net>
Cc:        Graeme Tait <U@webcom.com>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to share accounts between mail/pop and web servers?

"Jeffrey J. Mountin" wrote in message ID
<3.0.3.32.19981006222438.00f7f438@207.227.119.2>:
> At least with my suggestion along with using a /some/where/else/passwd file,
> it's easy to share the passwords.

All the popular servers that I've used (qpopper, sendmail, apache, etc) can
work with non-getpass* routines with minimal work. This also drastically
increases the security of the machine, as the real password information can be
kept hidden from the daemons and hence from the outside world. It also gets
around UID limits inherent in some systems (e.g. NFS, other unixes), as you
don't need to assign unique UID's either (although stuff like ftpd, apache,
etc needs work to stop people from having access to other peoples files)

> At least until his users number in the 10's of thousands on up, which just
> begs to have a central location for user vitals.

Anywhere over 10k also begs not to be using the berkeley DB format. Put your
information into Postgres, MySQL, etc and then generate CDB files regularly
and push them out to the servers. Or use LDAP (if you can find a server which
(a) works, (b) isn't netscape, and (c) scales)

But don't use DBM. It gets really slow to build the larger files.

Gary