Date:      Tue, 11 Jul 2000 04:54:50 -0500
From:      Mike Pritchard <mpp@mppsystems.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.osd.bsdi.com>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: docs/19818: /usr/share/man/man8/sysinstall.8 missing

On Tue, Jul 11, 2000 at 12:20:06AM -0700, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
> The following reply was made to PR docs/19818; it has been noted by GNATS.
>
> From: "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.osd.bsdi.com>
> To: Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
>
>  > > sysinstall.8 man page is not in distribution; need to dig install
>  > > sources to find it under /usr/src/release/sysinstall/
>  >
>  > This is right.  Is there any reason we don't do this?  Otherwise, the
>  > attached patch should do it.
>
>  Well, we don't do it because sysinstall isn't in the default build
>  path, is never touched by "make world" or "make distribute", and hence
>  never makes it into the man pages distribution with all the other
>  manual pages, even with Nik's patch to the Makefile.
>
>  I've thought of various types of evil hacks to work around this over
>  the years, but they always seemed more evil than simply omitting the
>  man page. :-)
>
>  - Jordan

How about some simple stub man page in /usr/src/share/man/man8
that tells the user how to find the real man page if they are
daring enough to try do something more exotic than:

# /stand/sysinstall

?

That might not be a bad idea, since you could also point them
to some set of instructions that tells them how to rebuild
sysinstall if need be, since sysinstall doesn't get updated
normally.

-Mike
--
Mike Pritchard