Date:      Sun, 02 Apr 2000 20:33:03 -0500
From:      Ted Spradley <tsprad@set.spradley.org>
To:        "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>
Cc:        "Chad R. Larson" <chad@DCFinc.com>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FIXED --> Thanks! Re: ep0 eeprom failed to come ready...

> I'm not going to bother tearing apart your reply.
>
> You obviously have -no- idea what the current state of the PnP system in
> FreeBSD is.

Me neither.  I would have appreciated a brief discussion of how the PnP
system deals with the sort of problem Mr. Larson describes.

> If the FreeBSD kernel -knows- about non-PnP resources then it will not
> 'remap' PnP hardware to conflict.

But does it 'remap' PnP hardware to remove a conflict that already exists?

[...]
> On Sun, 2 Apr 2000, Chad R. Larson wrote:
[...]
> > It's good you chose that example.  I went through =exactly= that
> > exercise two weeks ago.  A 3c509B which wouldn't do squat.  Even the
> > 3Com MS-DOS configurator program claimed there were "no Etherlink
> > cards found" until I pulled out the Creative Labs Soundblaster that
> > was in there.

Can FreeBSD deal with that?  When the MS-DOS configurator from the manufacturer can't?  That would be wonderful.  That seems to me to be a very hard problem, a problem that was created by the (imperfect) addition of Plug'n'Play on top of the already imperfect mechanism of jumper-selected addresses and IRQs.

And that was (to my understanding) Mr. Larson's original complaint:  that the evolution of address and IRQ (etc.) selection mechanisms over the years (while it may or may not have made things easier for some people, I don't know) has made it more difficult for some of us to isolate, identify, and correct it when it doesn't work.

This is not a complaint about FreeBSD.  This is a complaint about the architecture of PeeCee equipment.  And I don't expect any of you to try to address the complaint; I'm just venting.  Sorry.