Date:      Tue, 2 Oct 2001 13:31:12 +0100
From:      j mckitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>
To:        Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: code density vs readability

| >  One of the software engineers I work with (from mainframe/DOS days) has his
| >  code spread out so thin, you can page down 3 or 4 pages before you start to
| >  see meaningful code, and he seems to skip a line after almost every line of
| >  code.  Not to mention spaces before and after every parenthesis, brace, or
| >  bracket.  It seems this would make it easy to read the first time, but a
| >  nuisance after that.

I just came to a new conclusion.  I think code formatting and personal
style might be directly related to the editor preferred.  This
programmer has used Brief for years, and the other programmers here use
Visual Studio's editor (blech!).  With Emacs, I get parenthesis/brace
matching, auto-formatting, better searches, comment handling, etc that
make a lot of whitespace unnecessary.  All of this occurred to me as I
was reading some new VS code that also has spaces before and after
parentheses.  It's because the editor does not match pairs, so they rely
on visual cues to do it themselves.  God, i love real editors.  And i've
only been using them a relatively short time.  I can imagine how the
veterans feel about modern editors.

Interesting, our Japanese team hates VS and only uses it for
compilation.  They all use a programmer's editor for any real work.
That seems to be the case in Europe as well.  It seems only US
programmers (the new ones, anyway) have been snowed by the MS dominance
of programming tools.

jm
--
My other computer is your windows box.