Date:      Fri, 28 Aug 1998 13:34:55 +0400
From:      "Igor Sysoev" <igor@nitek.ru>
To:        "Mike Smith" <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        <freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ThinkPad 365X and 3C589D

> > Now I run 'ifconfig ep0 inet ...' then 'ifconfig ep0 delete' then
remove
> > card and system hang up. The single keys that working now is Fn-F7
(they
> > switch between LCD and external monitor).
>
> If you try alt-ctrl-esc, what happens?  It sounds to me as though
> you're in the interrupt routine for the 'ep' driver and spinning
> endlessly.

I haven't debugger in kernel but when try a-c-e while all this hangups
message "No debugger in kernel" didn't even appear.

> > If I remove 3C589D with running 'apmconf -e' notebook hang up even I
> > didn't run 'ifconfig ep0 ..' before - without any network activity.
>
> I think *this* may have something to do with the interaction between APM
> and your hardware; it seems to me that you might be getting an APM
> event related to the card removal.
>
> If you're able to pursue these issues a little further, I'd be
> interested to know if you turn anything up.  Needless to say, I use APM
> and plug/remove cards on a regular basis (including a 3c589), so I know
> it's _supposed_ to work.

Yes, it's seems to me too that problem is mainly in interaction between APM
and
PC Card. So:
1. ThinkPad hangs when I remove 3C589D while APM enabled (apmconf -e)
2. If APM disabled ThinkPad doesn't hang up when I remove 3c589D for
the first time. (in case when pccardd doesn't run anything except echo).
3. ThinkPad hangs up when I try to remove 3C589D for the second time.
4. ThinkPad doesn't hangs up when I try to remove 3c589D after I'd ran
'ifconfig ep0 inet ...', 'ifconfig ep0 delete'.
5. ThinkPad hangs up when I try to remove 3c589D after I'd ran
'ifconfig ep0 inet ...', ping, 'ifconfig ep0 delete' - after some
network activity.
6. When I go to suspend mode, kernel unload ep0, return irq, disable slot.
After resume kernel insert card, and load ep0.
7. Keys that switch CPU to SMM mode works while hang ups.

I'll to look two modem cards. And I'll try to install PAO. PAO's pccardc
allows to power off card before removing, may be it helps.

with best regards,
Igor Sysoev