Date:      Wed, 5 Apr 2000 20:35:07 -0400
From:      Coleman Kane <cokane@one.net>
To:        Southwell <vizion@ptialaska.net>
Cc:        David Nixon <david.nixon@mantech.com>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Attachments request -OOOOOPS

--gKMricLos+KVdGMg

Look, I'm only gonna say this once. I do not get the point of your
email. You are obviously ragging about a stupid security flaw that is
prevalent in windows, and more specifically outlook onto the FreeBSD
mailing list. I don't know you personally or anything, but I would
really hope that you would know that the virus problem was half because
windows has not concept of file/memory/hardware protection mechanisms.
Your request to force people to stray from the norm because you want
to use some crap to read mail is not our problem, we shall remain
as we were before attaching files to email, it is a hell of a lot
easier to transfer things like patches, source code, and tarballs by
attaching them and then detaching them upon reciept. Also, as far
as your complaints about using our mailers correctly and all goes,
we do use them correctly. I don't like people telling me I'm being
discourteous by doing what the standard is, especially if they are
expecting me to abide by the crappy system that Microsoft Outlook
Express v 5.00.2919.6600 works well with. I am sorry if I sound rude,
but you sir are telling me that you are a 40 year veteran and for some
reason that gives you the privilege to request that we politely format
our mailing to work with MS Outlook. I am sorry, but, no.

Alos, I don't want to ever hear crap about MS Viruses on this list.
I hear enough of that crap at work and get tired of it. I would hope
that a 40 year IT professional would know that the easiest way to
prevent email viruses is to not use a mail program that executes code
from inside of an email upon opening it. That is just plain stupid,
dumb, retarded, idiodic, and, sad. I would also hope that you would
realize that you, being the one, or one of the few using Outlook would
at least be somewhat sympathetic to the fact that the attachment
thing is your problem and you should work it on your own. A good deal
of us use mutt or pine, both of which handle attachments very well
and we are not giving that up because microsoft can't make a mail
client+os+browser+office+kitchensink bundle that is not riddled with
security flaws.

Oh yeah, I get my paragraphs all nicely aligned with the nice unix tool
"par". A simple keystroke in vim will align them nicely for me to send
so that they look good to everyone who reads them. I use mutt 1.0.1 by
the way, not netscape.

--cokane

Coleman Kane
President, Univ. of Cincinnati Free OS User Group

Southwell had the audacity to say:

--gKMricLos+KVdGMg

--gKMricLos+KVdGMg--