Date:      Sat, 27 Nov 1999 06:46:09 +0100 (CET)
From:      Marc van Woerkom <van.woerkom@netcologne.de>
To:        bsdx@looksharp.net
Cc:        van.woerkom@netcologne.de, multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Success: Quake 3 DemoTest under FreeBSD with RIVA TNT too!

> I am curious how much of this can be simplified by using xfree86
> 3.9.16?  For me it compiles out of the box on freebsd (even with gcc
> 2.95.2) and comes with GLX etc.

GLX is used for two things, the OpenGL over X protocol itself (glx)
and the indirect rendering mechanism. (See the X11 greenbook by Mark Kilgard)

The GLX from the XFree86 3.9.x snapshots is from SGI and has nothing to do
with the implementation by the openprojects.net team.

> did manage to get glclock working.  I was using a g200 and a 4m pci
> mystique with dualhead under X and I could tell hardware acceleration was
> working because glclock would just smear up when I moved it over to the
> monitor without hardware 3d. :)

I am surprised because I am not aware of any hardware acceleration in the
3.9.16 tree, except maybe for that highend card that used to serve as DRI
reference implementation.
Also the free glx modules should not work together with the 3.9.x snapshots.

Because it is late, and I had one of those deadline weeks behind me,
I might see little green elephants already and you might better check
the FAQ yourself at

    http://glx.on.openprojects.net

My guess is that G200 software rendering is simply a bit faster than the
mystique's one.

> Anyone know if G400 is supported at least as well in any aspects?
> (GLX and dualhead support)

The openprojects glx is supporting the G400 Warp core. (No, I am
not talking trekese here)

Regards,
Marc