Date:      Fri, 7 Nov 1997 18:03:52 -0600 (CST)
From:      Jay Nelson <jdn@qiv.com>
To:        "Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd@futuresouth.com>
Cc:        Richard Foulk <richard@pegasus.com>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Partitioning

I'm _really_ interested in knowing how you reduced an AIX file system
on the fly without blowing your feet off. The "official" way to reduce
an AIX file system is a restore from a mksysb.

I'd also like to see the journaled file system complete for FreeBSD,
but I don't have the skill -- or the time to learn. I agree with
Jordan. It's a far bigger job than it would seem. And, after all, I'm
happy with what I've got -- so why tinker with it?

-- Jay

On Fri, 7 Nov 1997, Matthew D. Fuller wrote:

    > On Thu, 6 Nov 1997, Richard Foulk wrote:
    >
    > > They call it their Journalled file system.  I don't think that has
    > > anything to do with it's ability to enlarge a partition on the fly.
    > >
    > > Journalling, the keeping of an audit-trail of all disk writes, makes
    > > for a more secure filesystem that can be cleaned up more thoroughly and
    > > quickly after a crash.
    > >
    > > Back to the main question;  I don't see any reason why the BSD file system
    > > couldn't be extended to allow for on-the-fly expansion of partitions.
    > > Toss in a pointer to the new space, when you feel like adding some,
    > > initialize it and continue on.
    > That's not the tough part.  It's essentially the same coding method as
    > ccd's.
    > The tough part is not just expanding, but SHRINKING partition on the fly.
    > On the AIX system I admin'ed, we once shrunk /usr by 80 megs to put 80
    > megs more in /home.  THAT takes a little more coding and failsafes.  It'd
    > still be a nice feature to have, tho.

    > |       FreeBSD; the way computers were meant to be       |
    > * "The only reason I'm burning my candle at both ends, is *
    > | that I haven't figured out how to light the middle yet."|
    > *    fullermd@futuresouth.com      :-}  MAtthew Fuller    *
    > |      http://keystone.westminster.edu/~fullermd          |

-- Jay