Date:      Sun, 7 Jun 1998 23:14:29 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
To:        katz@robotics.Stanford.EDU (Edward P. Katz)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Newbie 3 questions.

> Hello,
>
> I'm considering plunging into FreeBSD rather than LINUX and would like
> to ask 3 questions:
>
> 1.  First, does FreeBSD X windows support multiple monitors
>     (e.g. 3 monitors and interface cards on one PC as in display:0.1,
>     display:0.2, display:0.3)?

If the Xserver supports it...  Otherwise, I don't know...

> 2.  Can the COM1 serial port be configured as the console
>     (I.e. have no monitor, but use an ASCII terminal as the system
>     console)?

Yes.

> 3.  Folklore has it that for server kinds of applications, that
>     FreeBSD is the way to go.  But for an individual workstation
>     applications (e.g. X Windows, X Term, etc.) LINUX gets the
>     popular nod (at least from the sample space I've already tapped).
>     What is your response to this, and how does X Windows under
>     FreeBSD compare to X Windows under LINUX?

FreeBSD's niche is server applications, but as a workstation, it
is also really good from an OS standpoint.  FreeBSD can usually
run popular commercial Linux apps, even out-performing Linux
at times.  FreeBSD has a massive "ports" collection, consisting
of ported applications.  Current count is >1500 applications
pre-ported.

The biggest minus (performance wise) that you'll likely notice
about FreeBSD is that we have more synchronous metadata update
policy on our filesystems.  This can have a performance impact
for massive filesystem manipulations.  FreeBSD consiously chooses
the conservative policy though.

John