Date:      Wed, 12 Jun 2013 00:38:26 +0200
From:      Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Matthias Andree <matthias.andree@gmx.de>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Importing tradcpp (traditional (K&R-style) C macro preprocessor) into base?

--lteA1dqeVaWQ9QQl

On Wed, Jun 12, 2013 at 12:23:44AM +0200, Matthias Andree wrote:
> Am 12.06.2013 00:11, schrieb Baptiste Daroussin:
> > Hi,
> >=20
> > I have been working in importing tradcpp (developped by David A. Hollan=
d from
> > NetBSD) into the ports tree, it is a traditional (K&R-style) C macro
> > preprocessor BSD licensed. I first worked on it so that imake can work =
properly
> > without gcc.
> >=20
> > I discovered that some part of the base system still needs a traditional
> > preprocessor, like (calendar), what I propose it to import tradcpp into=
 the base
> > system (not the version in port right now but what will become version =
0.2).
> >=20
> > It mostly behave like gcpp, and I'm able to properly use calendar along=
 with
> > tradcpp with this small patch: http://people.freebsd.org/~bapt/tradcpp.=
diff
> >=20
> > Any objections against me importing it?
>=20
> Shouldn't we fix calendar and imake so that they can use a modern cpp,
> instead of going back 25 years?  Or am I missing the point here?
>=20

To be more specific, some people have express some concern about the lack of
support for traditional cpp in base, that's why I'm proposing this, now
personnaly I don't care if tradcpp remains in ports (for imake, imake is no=
t a
matter of fixing imake, but rather all the users of imake).

If we think it is not worth having a traditional cpp, I won't import it.
cpp has not be design at first for this kind of usage, but someone of our
vendors rely on a traditional cpp anyway.

Just it exists, it is rather small, it is BSDL and actively maintainer, so =
:)

concerning calendar(1) another approach is available here: bin/178463

regards,
Bapt

--lteA1dqeVaWQ9QQl

--lteA1dqeVaWQ9QQl--