Date:      Thu, 8 Mar 2001 16:32:37 -0800 (PST)
From:      David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>
To:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SUMMARY [Re: Dell Inspiron 5000e vs. Chembook 3015A vs. Compal N38W2...]

My thanks to all who responded to my queries regarding the Dell Inspiron
5000e and its "cousins".  I summarized the responses earlier, but that
was before I actually received the machine I ordered -- a Compal N38W2,
sold by M-Tech as the "M-Tech 30W".

I have the machine running FreeBSD (4.3-BETA as of 07 March, another slice
is 08 March, and another is 5.0-CURRENT as of 08 March).  I upgraded the
BIOS, and APM now works.  Sound works (though workman doesn't seem to
see the CD yet; one of my colleagues suggested that it may be looking
at a device other than one that is appropriate, so I'll investigate that).

So far, it seems that the touchpad-tap is not distinguishable from the
left mouse button (unless refreshing the BIOS fixed that).  I'll
investigate that further, as time permits, because I dislike chording
for the "button 2" function.

Further details (>10KB of text, which is why I didn't want to send it to
this list directly), along with pointers to various things, including an
image of the floppy I used to refresh the BIOS, may be found at
http://www.catwhisker.org/~david/FreeBSD/laptop.html.

NOTE:  If you decide to do anything with that floppy image, it is at your
own risk.  The site from which I got it points out that if, for whatever
reason, something goes wrong with the process, the affected machine can
become an expensive doorstop.  I took the risk, and it seems to have worked
for me; your mileage may vary.  It is documented as:

	FOR USE ONLY WITH INSPIRON 5000e AND COMPAL 38W2 SYSTEMS

in the "AUTOEXEC.BAT" file that is part of the flash.

Please use this information with an appropriate level of discretion and
care.

Thanks again,
david
As a computing professional, I believe it would be unethical for me to
advise, recommend, or support the use (save possibly for personal
amusement) of any product that is or depends on any Microsoft product.