Date:      Tue, 5 Jan 1999 17:43:31 -0600 (CST)
From:      Licia <licia@o-o.org>
To:        lcremean@tidalwave.net
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG

It's possible to stop it like that yes, but I am specifically looking for ways
I can take a proactive step in stopping spam from getting through on a mailing
list.  I think more and more spammers are using that as a way to bypass the
traditional spam filtering techniques, and think I need to cut them off (at
least on my system and others who may run Bouncer :) )

On Tue, 5 Jan 1999, Lee Cremeans wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 05, 1999 at 05:19:26PM -0600, Licia wrote:
> >
> > If I configure my system to bounce mailling list messages from spammers,
> > how would that likely affect the systems (and my subscriptions?)
> >
> > Should I simply add a "bit bucket" option to Bouncer to accept the mail and
> > dump it to nowhere instead of bouncing it?
>
> I think we can nip this in the bud at the source. I checked the headers, and
> the spam is coming from what appears to be a personal account (natch) on
> Earthlink. The relevant info is here:

>           by hub.freebsd.org (8.8.8/8.8.8) with SMTP id OAA20058
>           for <hackers@freebsd.org>; Tue, 5 Jan 1999 14:26:15 -0800 (PST)
>           (envelope-from getmoretraffic@getmoretraffic.com)
>

> --

[ licia@o-o.org ]  [ http://www.o-o.org/ ]  [ IrcNick : Licia ]
[ A happy user of FreeBSD : http://www.freebsd.org/           ]
[ Why crawl through windows when you can walk through a door? ]
[ This user boycotts all Microsoft products and services      ]