Date:      Tue, 19 Nov 1996 10:54:10 -0600
From:      "Eric L. Hernes" <erich@lodgenet.com>
To:        Peter Childs <pjchilds@imforei.apana.org.au>
Cc:        grog@lemis.de (Greg Lehey), freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cdrom boot?

Peter Childs writes:

> There was a decently long thread on this that is probably in
> the archives if you want more pointers/matterial/background to
> help you out.

I started a thread a couple months back on cdrom booting.  Since then
I discovered that even though my motherboard's bios indicates that
they support cdrom booting, they don't.  Plus management has lost
interest in booting to CD, for now anyway.  I might be able to drum
up a little support for it in the future.

The gist of that thread was that the El-Torito spec was done in
the true pc-hardware style.. a pile of crap.  It provides several
ways of making a CD bootable, ranging from `total hackery' to `the
right way'.  Now doesn't that sound familiar wrt specs? ;-)

> Peter
>
>--
> Peter Childs  ---  http://www.imforei.apana.org.au/~pjchilds
>  Finger pjchilds@al.imforei.apana.org.au for public PGP key
>         Drag me, drop me, treat me like an object!

eric.
--
erich@lodgenet.com
http://rrnet.com/~erich erich@rrnet.com