Date:      Tue, 03 Oct 2000 22:56:18 +0200
From:      Igor Khavin <igor@greyk.kiev.ua>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, Igor Karpov <jc@vicotec.com.ua>
Subject:   Re: FTP passive mode fails

Thanks!

Yes, I don't  blame the remote server, I even tried it myself at night
from other Linux box and everything worked. It even worked some time
before from my bsd. But HDD failed, /usr fs couldn't mount, the real
disaster.
So we reinstalled it and configured all night long to make office use
it's services. We mounted failed disk for read only and copied
configurations files. It was hard day's night, so we could forget
something to copy or configure. Now not only FTP passive works
improperly but I cannot use ICQ, Hotline and even News from Windows
boxes. That BSD box is our gateway. I was told my BSD isn't configured
for masquerading. I'm now trying to read all that manuals and articles
and handbooks trough but it seems to me very huge amount of information
for my level to acquire so fast. Probably FTP is harmed by the same
cause. Where should I see to find if my masquerading is working or not?

When I 'm trying to connect to hotline server I get at the
/usr/local/squid/logs/access.log (by the way protocol should be
hotline:// and not the http://):

     969564960.934     23 192.168.194.1 NONE/413 1373 POST \
     http://195.239.184.3:5502/4416EE60-F58F-D411-965E-0000E213A785 -
NONE/- -
and
    "Transport error: timed out waiting for data from remote host"
immediately on Win client

-if  I use "Tunnel through HTTP Proxy" mode and

     969564960.941      4 192.168.194.1 TCP_DENIED/407 1504 GET \
     http://195.239.184.3:5502/4416EE60-F58F-D411-965E-0000E213A785 -
NONE/- -
and
    "Remote host is unreachable (no route to host)"

-if not.

192.168.194.1 is an IP address of Win Box and 195.239.184.3 is one of
the Hotline server I'm trying to get.

When I'm trying to do that from Macintosh I can log in to the Hotline
server but cannot get anything, log file lines are:

     969374910.198    188 192.168.194.200 NONE/413 1373 POST \
     http://195.239.184.3:5502/95FE0A7A-8E55-11D4-A0E1-000502CCEA2A -
NONE/- -
     969374910.239     38 192.168.194.200 TCP_DENIED/407 1504 GET \
     http://195.239.184.3:5502/95FE0A7A-8E55-11D4-A0E1-000502CCEA2A -
NONE/- -

When I'm trying to use Odigo as ICQ client to authenticate with
Mirabilis (Odigo was tuned and provided by ITC, that's why such an
address):

     969563302.012      4 192.168.194.1 TCP_DENIED/407 1433 GET \
     http://www.itc.kiev.ua/odigo/ads/itc.gif - NONE/- -

Probably I sould change debug level to get more info?

I still have got the failed disk and can open BSD box and attach and
mount it for read only. If I knew what configuration file do I need I'd
just copied it or options from it.

Mike Meyer wrote:

> Igor Khavin writes:
> > Hi!
> >
> > I'm rather newbie, so question probably is a silly one.
> >
> > I cannot run ls command on FTP servers because passive mode doesn't
> > work, like this:
> >
> > ftp> ls
> > 227 Entering Passive Mode (193,193,193,113,4,32)
> > ftp: connect: Operation timed out
> > ftp>
> [...]
> > What's wrong? What should I configure? FTP client, firewall or
> something
> > else?
> > From Win boxes I can get listings of FTP sites using any browser but
> not
> > ftp command line.
>
> That worked fine from here. That means it's not the server or the
> firewall on there end. Which means it's your firewall or ftp client.
>
> Do the any of your other systems do passive mode, or do you know? Did
> you try it from ftp without doing passive mode? (Passive mode went
> into widespread deployment as "outbound-only" firewalls became
> popular, so if you're behind one of those, active mode may not work).
>
> > I run 4.0-STABLE. A friend of mine who installed and preconfigured
> the
> > box is unavailable now, so I have to struggle myself. I like the
> system
> > but too many questions still :-)
>
> Are you tracking -stable, or just running what he installed at the
> time? It works fine on a 4.1-release system.
>
>         <mike

I think it's not 4.0-stable issue. I plan to upgrade but later, when I
become much more familiar with it (I read chapter in handbook on
upgrading and am warned now about possible difficulties). Hope there
will not be so much diffs from 4.0 to 4.1.1 as from 2.x.x ;-)
--
Igor Khavin

IT Manager
"Grey Kyiv" advertising agency