Date:      Wed, 28 Mar 2001 19:28:56 -0800
From:      "Dave Walton" <dwalton@acm.org>
To:        Bob Willcox <bob@immure.com>, freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Slow Download Performance of ftp.freesoftware.com!

Bob Willcox wrote:

> This may be old news and may only be effecting me for some
> reason, but I get terrible download performance from
> ftp.freesoftware.com.

A.K.A. ftp.freebsd.org

> For other sites, my rates peak at greater
> than 200 KB/s, but here I'm luky if I can get 5 KB/s.  The load
> doesn't seem that high ("934 out of 5000 possible" right now).
>
> Anybody have an answer for or comments on this?

Yeah, I noticed this a few months ago when I was introducing BSD
to someone.  The FTP install was taking hours longer than it
should have, because the throughput was so stinking low.  I did a
traceroute to see what was happening, and discovered that the
server appears to have been moved from San Francisco to New
York.  The new route includes half a dozen hops through
lightning.net, which are typically anywhere from 100ms to 300ms
per hop.  It's horrible.

I've been using ftp2.freebsd.org ever since.

Dave