Date:      Thu, 06 Sep 2001 00:56:00 +0200
From:      Piet Delport <siberiyan@mweb.co.za>
To:        Giorgos Keramidas <charon@labs.gr>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Scripts and setuid

--Q68bSM7Ycu6FN28Q

On Wed, 05 Sep 2001 at 21:52:58 +0300, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 05, 2001 at 08:40:55PM +0200, Piet Delport wrote:
> > That still leaves me with the original question though, why can't
> > scripts be run setuid?
>=20
> Allowing scripts to be run with setuid is VERY insecure.
>=20
> It is very easy to set up the environment of the parent process and
> execute a script with certain things in the environment that will
> cheat and have the script execute code with elevated priviledges.

True, but isn't the same thing generally true for non-script executables
as well?

How insecure is it, for example, to have a small setuid script (with
basic checks in place like overriding PATH to something conservative,
etc.) that writable only by root, and owned by root:bar, with the intent
that users in group bar can execute it?

I'm very probably missing something important (if so, please enlighten
me), but how is the the above much worse than having a similar setuid
binary doing the same?

Thanks,

--=20
Piet Delport <siberiyan@mweb.co.za>