Date:      Sun, 10 Dec 2006 02:27:44 -0500
From:      RJ White <rj@moxad.com>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   suspend using APM on a Sony PCG-F350 with FreeBSD 6.1

Folks,

I have a old Sony PCG-F350 laptop running FreeBSD 6.1-RELEASE-p11 that
I would really like to get suspend (zzz) using APM to work.
This is a old laptop (~ 8 years?) and so I can't use ACPI.  From dmesg :
	ACPI disabled by blacklist.  Contact your BIOS vendor.
My kernel config only differs from the GENERIC by :
	ident	LAPTOP2
	device	sound
	device	apm			# no longer commented out
My /boot/device.hints has :
	hint.apm.0.disabled="0"		# default is 1
and I've tried :
	hint.apm.0.flags="0x20"
both enabled and commented out.
In /boot/loader.conf I  have :
	apm_load="YES"
I have tried with apmd both running and not running.
'apm -s'  gives 1.
dmesg tells me :
	apm0: <APM BIOS> on motherboard
	apm0: found APM BIOS v1.2, connected at v1.2

I find that APM sorta works - xbatt works for example.  But if I try to
suspend (zzz), whether from a xterm under X or not, the display stays the
same, keyboard seems unresponsive although I can sometimes switch to a
different virtual terminal, but as soon as I attempt to get a response
by hitting any keys, I get a constant low beep and I have to kill the power.

suspend used to work on this laptop long ago, with a older version of
FreeBSD.  Probably 4.4 to 4.8 or so.

Any hints ?  Am I missing something obvious?

thanx!
	-rj