Date:      Mon, 27 Nov 1995 08:43:01 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
To:        Peter Marelas <maral@webnet.com.au>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org, doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Documentation..

On Mon, 27 Nov 1995, Peter Marelas wrote:

> 	Due to all the argueing about the lack of documentation, why dont
> we all stop bitching, and do ourselves a favour by writing docs, on
> what we have experience in, when using freebsd, lets get the handbook
> growing.

YES! The new handbook section:

X. Compatibility with other systems

X.1 BSDI

  (no-brainer, except I gather 2.0 binaries don't work?)

X.2 SCO

X.3 Linux

> Where do we put docs in for review by others?

Send stuff in to doc@freebsd.org.  In  a couple weeks I'll be diving
headfirst into a handbook upgrade so if there are some new compat docs in
my mailbox, they will find their way in.

> PS: Im writing one on PPP Servers, using pppd, as I feel the current docs
>     in the handbook are inadequate.

Super!  I think the most common failing found in the handbook (including
the ppp docs) are explicit step-by-step instructions *without* sufficient
commentary text.  Step-by-step procedures are exteremely fragile and fall
apart in the face of varaiation among installations.  With the rapid
development of freebsd, variation is *guaranteed*.  The process should be
explained by the text, and illustrated by some examples, not the reverse!

-john

== http://fieber-john.campusview.indiana.edu/~jfieber ============