Date:      Sun, 19 Apr 1998 12:05:14 +0100
From:      "Karl M. Joch" <k.joch@kmjeuro.com>
To:        <freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: salesman is thinking.....

one more thought. i think th reality is far away of our discussion. to
enhance the installed base FreeBSD needs the "normal" market. this means
small comapnies (80% in the whole world are small). but they need.

- 1 or 2 servers
- 3 - 20 workstations
- no neccecary of sysop/sysadmin
- easy setup and stable running system

FreeBSD have a lot of advantages against the M$ products. let me create a
standard installation:

- workstation:
    pentium PC with word processcing, spredsheat, internet browser, email (í
had to learn that most of the "normal users" are not able or WILLING to
handle more).

- server
    -   internet connection with dialup (leased is expensive here in
europe).
            so you need a pop client serving the mails from the ISP accounts
to local mail
            server.
    - a few GB harddisk space for the users.
    - a small fax server program.
    - comercial software for their dialy work

so no need of Tcl (or whatever).

it would make sence to have an auto setup system for a workstation:

    - standard FreeBSD system with:
        - all neccecary componets (the ideas about neccecary will differ i
am sure)
        - X-Windows with a few selected components
        - Word Procession, Spreadsheet, Email and Browser Software.

    ánd inform the people about the advantages of FreeBSD.

the same thing would be neccecary for a sérver system. think about the
advatages of a FreeBSD Server in a Network:

- included Software for Internet, Mail, Pop, Windows Connection using Samba
and so much more.

i personally think that this are the points the users wants to here. they
don´t care about Tcl, GUI, aso..... REMEMBER: the user was happy with a DOS
based system in text mode till somebody comes and told him YOU NEED A GUI !

karl m. joch