Date:      Mon, 27 Jul 1998 15:26:06 +1000
From:      Stephen McKay <syssgm@dtir.qld.gov.au>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG, jkh@FreeBSD.ORG, syssgm@dtir.qld.gov.au
Subject:   Re: Summary of final changes to FreeBSD 2.2.7

On Saturday, 25th July 1998, Greg Lehey wrote:

>While I agree with this sentiment, I think we should bear in mind that
>it could have been better.  This time, for some reason, there were a
>lot of dissenting voices in the mailing lists.  Didn't we use to do a
>Beta release?

Have you watched what happens when there is an aggressive beta release
program?  Everyone gets really excited and sticks untested things in at the
last moment, the beta goes over time, people get sick of the delay, and out
it goes warts and all.  I was a little surprised to see Jordan stick to his
schedule even though I'd forgotten about it.  But the end result, I think,
will be more stable than previous releases *because* it caught everyone by
surprise.

>If Jordan had released 2.2.7 beta on Monday (or even
>the Wednesday before) and let people download it, within a week the
>rough edges would have been knocked off, there would have been less
>stress, and less idiots sending out messages saying that FreeBSD 2.2.7
>was a load of shit.

Hmm.  I don't think I agree.  It looks to me like the rough edges got
knocked off in record time, and the only down side was a lot of ill informed
ranting on the lists.  There's ill informed ranting all the time, so that
doesn't concern me much.  And my 2.2.7 machine works just fine.

Stephen.