Date:      Sun, 23 Apr 2000 18:12:30 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
To:        freebsd-emulation@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   vmware-2 config

I have two questions regarding the configuration of vmware2 on a machine
running FreeBSD-current/SMP (with 2 PIII processors).

First, I run a scsi-only system.  I have an Intel DK440LX mobo, and it has
dual Adaptec scsi busses.  I have two cdroms in it right now, one a
reader, the other r/w.  The configuration wizard wanted me to pick a
device in /compat/linux/dev, but none of the ones in there are my cd0 and
cd1.  I know how to use mknod, but I'm not sure that's the right thing to
do for scsi compatibility.  Does anyone know.

In fact, is there any specific option I should be setting in my kernel
config file to support this?  I already have COMPAT_LINUX, and (in
general) linux stuff runs just dandy, which is why I decided to try this
neat toy.

Last question:  the first time I brought vmware up, it asked me the
location of about 5 executeables (I remember that 'less' was one of
them).  I answered with their correct full path locations, UNTIL I got to
one that I didn't recognize, I think it was something like "insmon"  I
went thru the sources trying to find real hard where this was called out
(I grepped for less, and just couldn't find a hit that looked right,
although there were a hundred uses of "flawless" all  right :-)

I can't get any more specific, but anyone recognize this, and know how to
react to it?  When I start up vmware, it comes up with 5 small windows
telling me that it couldn't find an executeable (I wish it would say which
one!)

I haven't yet got thru the vmware-wizard, because when I couldn't answer
the cdrom question, I cancelled it out.

Thanks!

Chuck Robey            | Interests include C & Java programming, FreeBSD,
chuckr@picnic.mat.net  | electronics, communications, and signal processing.

New Year's Resolution:  I will not sphroxify gullible people into looking up
fictitious words in the dictionary.