Date:      Sun, 29 Oct 2000 00:04:20 -0700 (PDT)
From:      patl@Phoenix.Volant.ORG
To:        UCTC Sysadmin <support@transbay.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: USB ports replacing legacy ports on new machines

On 28-Oct-00 at 22:26, UCTC Sysadmin (support@transbay.net) wrote:
> I thought USB's speed limit was 400kbps. I can't see using USB for ethernet
> or disk. From what I've read, Firewire is the better solution of the two.
> Way better throughput. I have recently seen a hard drive with a firewire
> interface, FWIW.

Throughput isn't the only important factor.  For example, how do
they compare on topology (maximum cable distance, maximum depth
of hub cascading, etc.)?

> If I read industry standard practice correctly from the retail point of
> view, USB will be pumped up and sold out until the next "wonderful bus",
> a.k.a. Firewire, is "discovered". It's only money.

I expect them to peacefully coexist for quite a while - I doubt
that you will be seeing Firewire keyboards, mice, modems, or other
relatively low-speed devices; and I suspect that the USB disk drives
and Ethernet ports will fade away once Firewire is sufficiently
close to ubiquitous and the faster Firewire peripherals approach
the cost of the USB versions.

-Pat