Date:      Mon, 02 Apr 2001 10:36:25 -0800 (PDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
Cc:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.org>, John Reynolds <jjreynold@home.com>, mobile@FreeBSD.org, qa@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: followup to problems with 4.3-RC1 for laptops

On 31-Mar-01 Warner Losh wrote:
> In message <XFMail.010330150116.jhb@FreeBSD.org> John Baldwin writes:
>: That is easy enough to work around, just have the cardbus code mask out
>: INTR_FAST in its bus_setup_intr and bus_teardown_intr and it will work fine.
>: This will hurt sio(4) performance some however, but if fast interrupts are a
>: problem for cardbus you can always turn them off.
>
> The problem isn't FAST interrupts with cardbus.  The problem is that
> fast interrupts can't be shared.  I don't think sio does anything that
> requires a fast interrupt, except for the latency issues for the 16550
> uarts.  They can't tolerate the latency we have in non-fast interrupts
> in current :-(.

I realize that fast interrupts can't be shared, so they are problematic in that
regard, and you can still mask out INTR_FAST and INTR_EXCL if you wish in the
bus layer so that the attaching device doesn't have to special case its code
but can instead basically say what its desires are and let the bus decide if
all of them can be satisified or not.