Date:      Sun, 5 Oct 2003 10:05:56 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Rich Bud <rbud@fortean.com>
To:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   firebird under stable...wasting my time?

After seeing a couple of stray messages about compiling mozilla firebird
under CURRENT, i decided to give it a go under 4.x STABLE. I installed
gcc 3.2.3 (gcc 2.95.3 got nowhere) and with that firebird compiled more
or less cleanly (i had to switch the final step for various .so's
to use gcc32 instead of g++32 because of some relocation errors with
libstdc++'s __terminate) but then when i run firebird i get 'Illegal
instruction'.

I tried to rebuild with -DWITH_DEBUG as per the advice given for CURRENT,
but i didn't have enough disk space to spare. Before i scrounge up another
drive, has anyone tried this yet? If it's a lost cause, or if anyone knows
what options to use to get it working, i'd love to hear it...

Barring any specific advice, my next attempts at this point look like:
  - install another drive and compile firebird with -DWITH_DEBUG
  - install the latest binutils compiled with gcc3 in case the newest gnu
    toys only play with each other
  - reinstall gcc3 (i noticed some -O2's while it was compiling...maybe
    those aren't an issue anymore like with gcc2.95? anyone know?)
  - track down what the __terminate thing is about if it doesn't go
    away from any of the above steps

		Thanks for any clues,
		Rich Bud <rbud@fortean.com>