Date:      Sun, 2 Feb 2003 11:10:59 +0100 (CET)
From:      Alban Hertroys <dalroi@solfertje.student.utwente.nl>
To:        Eric Timme <timothy@voidnet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ata33 vs others?

On 31 Jan, Eric Timme punched keys in this particular order:
> After wrestling with an 80gb hd and an Abit BX6-R2 for an afternoon and being
> pleasantly surprised that Abit's last bios release would allow my board to
> detect and use an 80gb hd I came to the sad realization that the computer
> only supported ata33.

That shouldn't matter much if it is the only drive on the IDE channel.

Modern harddrives still perform under 40MB/s last time I checked (the
IBM 60GXP series could do 37.5MB/s), and that is at maximum.

The ATA100 standard was necessery because two disks on a channel could
in some cases press the required data throughput of the controller
over 66MB/s (2x37.5=75), though I'm sure it maxes out quite a bit under
100MB/s.

I don't know how much overhead data on an IDE channel has (like 'packet
headers' or some equivalent) and we now have an ATA133 standard that
would be kind of absurd with the above reasoning.
Maybe someone can shine a light on this?

--

Alban Hertroys                              http://solfertje.student.utwente.nl