Date:      Sun, 10 Jul 2005 09:02:31 +0800
From:      Erich Dollansky <oceanare@pacific.net.sg>
To:        David Kelly <dkelly@HiWAAY.net>
Cc:        "R. Tyler Ballance" <tyler@tamu.edu>, chat@Freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Software patents and FreeBSD

Hi,

David Kelly wrote:
> This doesn't belong on Questions or Hackers.
>
> On Jul 8, 2005, at 6:28 PM, R. Tyler Ballance wrote:
>
>> Howdy,
>>
>>     i'll be meeting tuesday with staffers for my congressman (since
>> he's still in D.C.) to discuss software patents and the "evil"  behind
>> them.

The evil behind software patents is the same evil behind all other
patent: the lack of an inventive step.

Prior art is already one sign that a patent can't be granted but still
they do.

The expertise needed to create the invention must be put back to its
right place again to avoid patent flooding.

We have had the examples in this conversation: training a cat und
platter size of hard disks. There is no inventive step to change just
one little thing but keep the principle the same.

Erich