Date:      Mon, 7 Sep 2015 17:46:03 -0300
From:      Federico Caminiti <demian.fc@gmail.com>
To:        Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
Cc:        freebsd-translators@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CFT: PO/Gettext Translation System for FreeBSD DocBook Documents

> Right, the new chapter does not say what to do, because we needed feedback
> on how translators would like to do it.
>
> Benedict Reuschling of the German translation team translated the leap
> seconds article and committed the article itself.
>
> I think we could have translators commit the PO files.  The build system
> would generate the XML books and articles as needed.
>
> If people are able to share the PO files, it increases the translation
> memory and makes translating other documents easier.  New translators can
> build on the work of previous ones.
>
> Taking it farther, there is Pootle, where most of the process happens
> online.  PC-BSD is using it.

I've used it briefly a while ago (I helped translate a few things for
PC-BSD a while ago) . Having used Poedit, it seems easier to use for me, at
least the UI feels better than Pootle's Web UI. The upside is that it
doen't require the user to run FreeBSD whenever he/she wants to translate
articles (you could translate articles from your phone or from a Windows
computer). I'd still rather use Poedit, though.

Which way to go probably depends on how many people are translating into a
> particular language.  The way it is set up right now has the bare minimum
> of overhead and allows translators to choose their own PO editor.
>
> What do you think?

I don't mind sending XML diffs, since the process has mostly been
automatized now and I don't have to think too much about it. Nevertheless,
being able to commit .po files directly would definitely make things
easier, at least for me.

On an unrelated subject I'd like to know if the situation on translations
has improved since the last time. By that I mean that if there is any hope
to get any spanish translations commited (maybe someone with commit
privileges has emerged and is willing to review them, or maybe with the new
system, reviewing spanish translations will become easier).  I know this is
probably a subject for a different topic, but while testing the translation
system I've  translated the leap-seconds article and I'd love to see it
commited some day :) .

Regards,