Date:      Fri, 2 May 1997 03:19:00 -0700
From:      John-Mark Gurney <jmg@hydrogen.nike.efn.org>
To:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: the bt848, more the programs that use DGA extensions

Amancio Hasty scribbled this message on May 2:
> Talk to the XFree86 people about X errors . That particular card probably does
> not support properly the DGA extension . You can always find out by
> reading README.<whatevercard> from the XFree86 distribution  .

ok.. I'll check it.. I've tried it with 3.2 and 3.2A, but right now I'm
going to go find the file that has the specific info...

> Try to get a VRAM card such as an S3 968. Try not to get DRAM based cards
> because they are not really that fast for you.

ok.. sounds good...

> I take a little offense with the implication that the driver is related to
> anything from the linux camp.

sorry...  I was just talking about the probe output... their output is
Linux like (that is ALL that I ment by the statement)...  basicly you
have a line without the driver id put before it...  Linux does this plus
other anoying things (like Mklinux you have COLOR console with each of
COLOR a different color)

> The core video technology was written from scratch straight out of the
> Bt848 databook and I am not so sure that the tuner code has that much to share
> with the linux driver also. The driver model came out of the Matrox
> Meteor driver  which for a long time there was no linux counterpart.
>
> So in summary, the BT848 driver at least the video component is 100%
> FreeBSD grown 8)

well.. I'm glad to hear that...

> Try not to watch too much TV.  Oh thats just a little problem I got
> over here with TV on my PC 8)

heh...  I hope to fix my video card soon...  (but at least I still have
my small 10" monitor to watch tv)...   ttyl..