Date:      Fri, 16 May 1997 16:41:21 +1000
From:      Stephen McKay <syssgm@dtir.qld.gov.au>
To:        David Nugent <davidn@labs.usn.blaze.net.au>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: xdm in /usr/X11R6/etc/rc.d problem

On Wednesday, 14th May 1997, David Nugent wrote:

>Lastlogin (part of the 'utmp' package) was relative easy. Defining
>an extensible format for utmp/wtmp wasn't such a pushover,
>unfortunately, once I had thought through all of the issues.
>
>If I post the code I'm working on to you for comment, is anyone
>interested in looking at it?

Ooh!  Ooh!  Pick me!

I've been kicking myself every week for months now for not doing my version
of the utmp/wtmp stuff.  Please send your stuff to <mckay@freebsd.org>.

>Bear in mind that there's a time-frame
>to be kept with Xfree 3.3's impending release - we can either miss
>this completely and hope that there's another release prior FreeBSD
>3.0 (possible?) or we can finish the api now, so comments should be
>fast.

Forget trying to make the XFree86 3.3 deadline as the only result will be
a broken API set in concrete.  There will be another XFree86 release before
FreeBSD 3.0-RELEASE.  I'll bet you my 386 PC on it! :-)

[Details of implementation zapped]

>wtmp, however, is another thing. We can't easily change the
>record size between reboots, because it just grows, and (right
>now at least) everything assumes a uniform record size. Adding
>more data to each record and we end up throwing out past
>records, which is imho unacceptible, and allocating lots of
>"spare" space to each record is an equally gross solution.

You could put the record size in the last field as well as the first.
Then reading backwards is easy.

>I think the best format for wtmp will be a standard text line-feed
>delimited file only...

If you go text only, then just mark the start of record with a unique
prefix.  In fact, I'm keen on an extensible text format for both
utmp and wtmp.  I'll send you more concrete comments when I see the code.

Stephen.