Date:      Sun, 13 Apr 1997 10:58:06 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        tony@dell.com (Tony Overfield)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, steve@visint.co.uk, langfod@dihelix.com, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 430TX ?

Tony Overfield stands accused of saying:

> The "dual bus architecture" is not related to the split I&D cache.

Thanks for the clarification.

> Michael Smith said:
> >
> >It Intel are hailing this as some sort of 'breakthrough', then that's
> >just one more reason to laugh loudly at them.
>
> Every Pentium CPU that Intel has ever made, starting four or five years
> ago with the very first P5, has had split I&D caches, so you shouldn't
> laugh at Intel in this case.

The "laugh" proposal was a direct follow-on to the proposition that
Intel might be suggesting that split I&D was a 'breakthrough'.

> Of course, the win from a split I&D cache is not really related to
> a low ratio of instruction and data mixing.  The win comes from the
> concurrency that it makes possible.

... only if the CPU can get at both the I&D caches at the same time.
In most modern implementations, this is certainly the case, although
in single-chip micros this usually leads to lots of pins (expensive)
or putting the split cache onboard (size constraints).

> The CPU can fetch instructions
> and data from the I and D caches at the *same time* with obvious
> performance benefits.  If I recall correctly, the data cache supports
> two simultaneous data references, so there can be up to three cache
> data references in progress at any given instant.

A deeper pipeline can often achieve equivalent results to this,
although you will correctly raise the problems with deep pipelines and
speculative execution/branch prediction, etc. and I will have to
concede that a short pipeline and fast cache access/decoding are
better 8)

> On the other hand, Intel's "dual independent bus architecture" was first
> put into the Pentium Pro and it refers to the separate L2 cache bus, made
> practical (due to the large number of signals involved) because the L2
> caches were integrated.  The Pentium II also has this feature, again made
> practical because the L2 caches are built into the processor module.
> This feature allows the CPU to access the L1 and L2 caches while the CPU
> bus is busy.

Unless I'm missing something here, this basically just means that the L1 cache
got lots bigger, but now because it's slower, it too is cached.

I sniff a manufacturing compromise here.

> I can't speak for Intel, but Intel says this on its www site: "In
> addition, the Dual Independent Bus architecture supports the
> evolution of today’s 66 MHz system memory bus to a 100 MHz system
> memory bus within the next year."

"we shortened some of the signals".

> David Langford said:
> ) What I really dont understand is why HP and ALR(?) seem to be the only
> ) folks doing memory busses larger than 64 bits wide.
>
> Since the CPU only has a 64 bit data bus, the extra bits are harder
> to take advantage of.

You would have to brew your own memory controller (and possibly fiddle the
behaviour of the cache controller) to take advantage of a wider memory bus,
and it wouldn't buy you much.