Date:      Thu, 1 Jan 1998 17:26:43 -0500 (EST)
From:      mgraffam@mhv.net
To:        Steve Reid <sreid@sea-to-sky.net>
Cc:        Michael Graffam <mgraffam@mhv.net>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HACKED (again)

On Thu, 1 Jan 1998, Steve Reid wrote:
> More likely, the attacker would find a system binary or script that is
> used _before_ securelevel is set, and modify it so that the trojans take
> over the system as soon as it is rebooted. This is only possible if the
> sysadmin forgets to "chflags schg" something.

Yeah, _that_ is a clever little idea. I wouldnt have thought of that
one :)

> Another possibility is that the attacker would trick the system into
> lowering the securelevel. This means finding a hole in the kernel or
> init, which is probably a lot harder than finding a hole in a setuid
> program.

Yeah, I'd consider this a dead end..

> > However, I dont see how this will necessarily help you against files
> > that need to get changed, just as log files and utmp
>
> Log files can be set append-only. I'm not sure about wtmp/utmp.

Yeah, but append-only mode isnt necessarily the greatest either.. but
this is really a different issue.. one that centers around how much
one trusts the audit trails.

> Anyone interested in setting up non-zero securelevel (I think the
> variable's full name is kern.securelevel, set by sysctl) should read the
> man pages for init, chflags, sysctl, and probably others. There are
> probably other sources of info around the web. The freebsd-security list
> archives might have some info.

Yeah, there is another resource that covers this.. I wish I still had the
URL.. it was a list of links and dox on which programs and features are
of concern for site security. I'll run a search and see if I can re-find
it.

> Securelevel is a good reason to choose *BSD over Linux in any
> environment where security is a concern. As far as I know, Linux doesn't
> have any equivalent security features.

I dont think there is a direct counterpart in Linux to securelevel either,
but I think that one could set things up to act like various securelevel
states.

Linux's ext2 filesystem has security stuff too. The chattr command will
flip the bits for a file's attributes. You can set it to stuff like
append-only writes, locked access (like immutability), secure deletion
(blocks are zeroed out if the file is erased) and there are hooks in
the code for automatic compression and I think crypto as well (but
these features arent in the stock ext2, as far as I know.. I havent
checked in awhile).. so the file attributes are similar.. though I
havent really put Linux's attribs to the flame and tested them.. I
know that BSD's work.

So, if I had to pick a system, I'd pick BSD too for security..

Michael J. Graffam (mgraffam@mhv.net)
http://www.mhv.net/~mgraffam -- Philosophy, Religion, Computers, Crypto, etc
"Enlightenment is man's emergence from his self-incurred immaturity.
Immaturity is the inability to use one's own understanding without the
guidance of another. . .Sapere aude! Have the courage to use your own
understanding!" - Immanuel Kant "What is Enlightenment?"