Date:      Wed, 27 Nov 1996 21:34:01 +0100
From:      se@freebsd.org (Stefan Esser)
To:        kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de (Christoph Kukulies)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: support of RealTek 8029 (and an X issue)

On Nov 27, kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de (Christoph Kukulies) wrote:
> I just had a conversation with someone who switched to Linux -
> for device support reasons. For one, he has a RealTek 8029 and
> couldn't find support for it under FreeBSD. But what baffled me was
> that Linux gave him the following in /proc/pci (?):
>
>   Linux says... (in /proc/pci) <--?
>   Bus 0, device 10, function 0:
>   Ethernet controller: Realtek 8029 (rev 0)
>   Medium Devsel. IRQ 11
>   I/O at 0x7f40
>
>   While FreeBSD said during boot:
>   pci0:10 device=8029 class=ethernet (network) IRQ=11
>   [no driver assignment]

Which FreeBSD ???

Mine says:

ed1 <NE2000 compatible PCI Ethernet adapter> rev 0 int a irq 12 on pci0:6
ed1: address 00:40:33:a0:0b:ff, type NE2000 (16 bit)

(This is a cheap PCI NE2000 clone, less than 49DM incl. MWSt., or
some $29 + VAT.)

I bought that card to add support for the RealTek 8029 chip sometime in
May 1996. It was possible to use it before, if you manually configured
the ed0 driver to use the appropriate IRQ and port address.

This driver change never made it into -stable (and will not be in 2.1.6),
but has been in -current for nearly half a year. And -stable users won't
install a NE2000 clone (or Linux :) anyway. The NE2000 is the chip that
causes the biggest CPU overhead of all I looked at. It does 16bit I/O
transfers over the PCI bus. (I have got the RealTek data book of the 8029,
but did not yet find a way to enable 32bit port accesses. The docs claim
the chip is capable of them. Maybe it will work if the correct byte enables
are present, but I didn't have time to test this, yet.)

> The other point that formed his mind was that he couldn't get his
> Trident card running under FreeBSD's XFree86 setup.
>
> Under Linux it worked magically:
>    "The video card you have, Trident 9440GUI, has a special technique of
>     displaying high graphics WITHOUT using clocks. Would you like X to
>     use this method?"
>
> While under FreeBSD he only had one clock and couldn't get the card
> configured.

Since FreeBSD and Linux share a common XFree source tree, there should
not be any such difference. Except if the versions differ, and in that
case it is most likely that the newer one will win :)

Regards, STefan