Date:      Tue, 05 Nov 1996 03:49:24 +0100
From:      sthaug@nethelp.no
To:        mark@quickweb.com
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /usr/obj size

> On the topic of hard-disks, I obviously need a new one, so what do you all
> recomend for a FAST-SCSI-2 drive. I just have an NCR c810 controller, so I
> don't need the Ultra-Wide stuff. My local store is telling me that a 2GB
> Quantum Atlas is about $900 CDN!!! And his price on a Seagate Hawk 2.1GB
> is $700. Seems high to me, and I remember Terry and others debating the
> equal cost of IDE and SCSI a while ago.. The exchange rate is about 0.76
> right now, so my local guy wants about $500 US for the Hawk. Like I said,
> seems high..

You might want to check the IBM DORS-32160 2 GB if you can find them. They
are less than two thirds of the price of the Atlas here in Norway. I have
two of them, and are very happy with price and performance so far.

At least here in Norway SCSI is definitely more expensive than IDE (about
30% more). I tend to stick with SCSI because I regard the technology as
much better than IDE.