Date:      Fri, 26 Jul 1996 08:41:50 +0200
From:      Bernd Rosauer <br@schiele-ct.de>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Which tex

> OK.  I want to build and install TeX on my FreeBSD current system.
>
> Looking at the ports area I find the following:
> 	mltex
> 	latex
> 	musixtex
> 	teTeX
> 	tex
> 	latex209
>
> Now, I just want the latest TeX, LaTeX, et al for my system.  Which
> one of these monsters do I want to install?  My guess would either be
> just teTeX, or latex209 + tex + dvips + mltex + musixtex + ?????
>
> What have others done?  How much disk space will I need?  Thanks for
> any pointers you can give me.

Try teTeX.  It's the latest and greatest distribution of TeX and
friends for UNIX compatible systems.  It's packages are up-to-date,
and it's complete.  (It takes about 30 MBytes of disk space.)

For this reasons as well as numerous others (see the FEATURES file
of the distribution) a lot of people use teTeX.  BTW: It's the core
of the TeX Live CD recently launched by Sebasthian Rahtz at the
last European TeX users meeting.  A lot of well-known (La)TeX gurus
use teTeX, and Thomas Esser has been invited by Michael Goosens of
CERN to install his TeX distribution on CERN's worldwide 3000 host
multi-platform network next month.  So you can be sure that teTeX
is really cool stuff.

-Bernd