Date:      Thu, 23 May 2013 11:08:58 +0000 (UTC)
From:      "Thomas Mueller" <mueller6724@bellsouth.net>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Cc:        Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Proposal: do not show up the dialog(1) by default?

> A lot of people seems to be complaining about the configuration dialog popping
> up all the time.

> What if we change the default behaviour to not pop up the dialog each time there
> is a changed option but only when the user explicitly type make config?

> Just a proposal, please give your opinion.

> Of course make config-recursive behaviour won't change.

> regards,
> Bapt

The new dialog4ports has made the dialog much less disruptive than before, especially when teeing to a log file.

So now I don't dread the dialog as I used to.

But it would still be good to be able to set options through make.conf, comparable to what pkgsrc (NetBSD and ported to other mostly Unix-like OSes) and portage (Gentoo Linux) do.

I have noticed how DOCS with docbook can be very cumbersome and overdone, how many different formats do we need?

And hopefully docbook wouldn't have to be rebuilt every time for different ports that might require it.

Tom