Date:      Tue, 13 Dec 2005 09:01:42 -0800
From:      "Jeff D. Hamann" <jeff.hamann@forestinformatics.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Cc:        damien.bergamini@free.fr
Subject:   getting iwi_firmware to work

I'm in the processing of putting together my new FreeBSD 6.0 (downloaded the
iso image yesterday) laptop which has a Intel Pro/Wireless 2915ABG wireless
card (as well as a firewire ethernet something?). The machine doesn't have a
floppy drive and I haven't been able to build the drivers using the
documentation at http://damien.bergamini.free.fr/ipw/ipw-freebsd.html and I
think the links for the two freebsd ports located at
http://damien.bergamini.free.fr/ipw/download.html are incorrect (maybe? both
links point to the ipw-firmware).

Does anyone have any instructions on how to get the wireless working without
first having to use a third pccard since I can't use cvsup or download the
ports as usual? I have a dual boot machine which I can read the primary ntfs
partition  (but not the fat32 partition -- very unhappy about that).

ifconfig reports (and I typing to recreate this)

fwe0:
flags=108943<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,PROMSIC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST,NEEDSGIANT> mtu
1500
    options=8<VLAN_MTU>
    inet6 fe80:f5ff:fe00:1c%fwe0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x1
    ether 02:90:f5:00:00:1c
    ch 1 dma 0
lo: blah, blah, blah

Is that the hardwire ethernet device? This is a new laptop (sager3880) and
so far the machine running xp has been really nice. I'd like to be able to
run the real deal now...

Jeff.

---
Jeff D. Hamann