Date:      Mon, 16 Oct 1995 02:37:17 +0300 (MSK)
From:      =?KOI8-R?Q?=E1=CE=C4=D2=C5=CA_=FE=C5=D2=CE=CF=D7?= (aka Andrey A. Chernov, Black Mage) <ache@astral.msk.su>
To:        hackers@freefall.FreeBSD.org, "Kaleb S. KEITHLEY" <kaleb@x.org>
Subject:   Re: A couple problems in FreeBSD 2.1.0-950922-SNAP

In message <199510151905.PAA04897@exalt.x.org> Kaleb S. KEITHLEY
    writes:

>> In message <199510151053.GAA03600@exalt.x.org> Kaleb S. KEITHLEY
>>     writes:
>>
>> >If I create a file that has extended ASCII (ISO8859-1) characters in the
>> >name, ls always substitues a '?' for the non-ASCII characters. Note
>> >that ls on, e.g. SVR4, does not do this
>>
>> Did you setenv ENABLE_STARTUP_LOCALE before calling ls?
>> See environ(7) (-current).

>For the most part stuff in -current might as well not exist as far as
>I'm concerned. The X Consortium only supports released versions of any
>particular OS, and then it officially only supports that same version
>over the life of that particular release of X11. I'm already stretching
>things as far as I can by running SNAP releases, and that's only because
>I have faith that 2.1 will be real before our next release. (Not much of
>a stretch really, our next release is months away.)

It present since 2.0 and earlier.

>That notwithstanding, I agree with Joerg, it's a hack and users shouldn't
>have to resort to hacks to have things work correctly or reasonably, or
>even reasonably correctly.

I agree. My first idea was not introduce this hack, but
I remeber some of core team members disagrees, so I add it. I can ether
1) Make it as default and not controlled by any variable.
2) Make it as default and controlled by DISABLE_STARTUP_LOCALE.

>> >So I think the test isprint in ls really ought to be isgraph instead.
>>
>> It is a question. The only difference is space: isprint allows it and isgraph
>> not. Does allowing spaces in file names considered bad?
>>

>In a separate context you cited the man page (and I think the man page is
>wrong in that case.) Now I'm going to do the same thing. :-) The FreeBSD
>man page for ls says that '?' is substituted for non-*graphical* characters
>(and the SVR4 man page is in agreement. I wonder what POSIX says?) Since a

I don't have Posix specs near me right now, so anybody with Posix
please give more light on this subj.
We need to follow Posix regardles of manpage/program or SVR4
currently does.
--
Andrey A. Chernov        : And I rest so composedly,  /Now, in my bed,
ache@astral.msk.su       : That any beholder  /Might fancy me dead -