Date:      Wed, 27 Jun 2001 19:01:04 +0200
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
To:        Christoph Sold <so@server.i-clue.de>
Cc:        doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Handbook: Build world / build kernel

Christoph Sold said on Jun 27, 2001 at 18:48:42:

> >   Warning: If you have upgraded your sources since your last kernel
> >                                                              ^^^^^^
> >   build, you must use the make buildkernel method to build your kernel.
> >   Otherwise, old utilities will be used to build the kernel, which will
> >   probably fail. Do not use the config/make sequence to build your
> >   kernel if you have updated the sources!
> >
> > Should that be last *world* build?  I mean, what does the old kernel
> > have to do with old utilities being used to build the new kernel?
>
> No. It means if you CVSup'ed your source _after_ building a kernel, only
> the buildkernel method uses the new binaries in /usr/obj to generate the
> kernel. Other methods will build the kernel with userland binaries,
> which will be out of sync with the sources after make buildworld.

That's what I thought it meant.  So it should be "since your last
world build" (ie, if your sources are newer than your world, you
should use this method, which uses the new binaries in /usr/obj).
The last kernel build has nothing to do with it except for the fact
that you're supposed to build the kernel and the world from the same
source tree.

> It is unsafe to build a kernel before you build a world in your object
> directory (usually /usr/obj).

ie, "make buildworld".  So "make buildkernel" should come after "make
buildworld", but not necessarily after "make installworld"?

Thanks