Date:      21 Jun 1999 20:50:03 +0200
From:      Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>
To:        Doug <Doug@gorean.org>
Cc:        Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>, freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG, alex@wnm.net
Subject:   Re: [Fwd: Re: misc/11796: Bad lines in 3.2-RELEASE inetd.conf]

Doug <Doug@gorean.org> writes:
> 	You are really really missing my point here, so I will state it
> again. If you have carefully examined the code for *every* case of *every*
> internal service, and you have tested it thoroughly, and you are 100% sure
> that the man page is in error, change the man page.

The confusion arises from the fact that inetd and /etc/services
disagree on what the canonical name for the ident service is. Inetd
has these canonical names hardcoded in an array of structs, so
changing the canonical name in /etc/services does not affect inetd's
belief of what the canonical name is.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smorgrav - des@flood.ping.uio.no