Date:      Fri, 3 Jan 2003 13:40:28 -0500 (EST)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        idnopheq@comcast.net
Cc:        alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NTFS mount on Alpha?

Coffin, Dexter writes:
 > Hey, All!
 >
 > Is it possible to mount an NTFS drive from FreeBSD 4.7-Stable on Alpha?
 >
 > I tried adding "options		NTFS" to my kernel build file and rebuilt my kernel.
 > No luck.  I also tried "kldload ntfs".  In both cases, I "mount_ntfs
 > /dev/ad2s1 /ntfs" by hand, causing a kernel panic.
 >
 > <cite>
 >
 > fatal kernel trap:
 >
 >     trap entry = 0x4 (unaligned access fault)
 >     a0         = 0xfffffe000123fc61
 >     a1         = 0x2d
 >     a2         = 0x1f
 >     pc         = 0xfffffc00003fd6cc
 >     ra         = 0xfffffc00003fdab8
 >     curproc    = 0xfffffe000bae7540
 >         pid = 1151, comm = mount_ntfs
 >
 > panic: trap
 >
 > syncing disks... 3
 >
 > </cite>
 >
 > Anyone know of a particular incantation to use, or does NTFS just not work on
 > Alpha?

It apparently doesn't work on anything but x86, if the above is any
indication.

 > Should I submit a bug report?

If you do, submit a better bug report.

Build a debug kernel with ntfs and DDB built in (config -g), install
it (make install).  Crash the machine with ntfs.  When the machine
panics, you'll be at the ddb prompt: get a traceback from ddb:
	ddb> trace

Write this down (or cut-n-paste from the serial console), and include
it in the bug report.

After rebooting, run gdb -k kernel.debug and list the pc and the ra
and include the line of code which causes the crash in the bug report:
Eg, (kgdb) l * 0xfffffc00003fd6cc

    (kgdb) l * 0xfffffc00003fdab8

Even still, unless its something obvious, don't expect too much
action.  I don't know of anybody with ntfs interest AND an alpha.

Drew